Thomas Hayes has devoted 26 of his 34 years as a practicing attorney to defending toxic torts. He brings an unparalleled dedication to the interests of the clients he represents in toxic tort litigation defense at McKenna Storer. Clients benefit from the skills and knowledge he has developed representing asbestos and toxic tort clients both as an inside attorney for an insurer and now as a litigator representing defendants.
Tom offers toxic tort litigation clients of McKenna Storer more than 25 years of experience representing manufacturers, contractors, distributors and premises owners in the complex and challenging area of asbestos litigation defense in Illinois and Missouri. He was national counsel for an insured of Kemper Insurance and represented them in asbestos litigation for 11 years. Mr. Hayes has been a practicing trial attorney for more than 30 years.
Clients and colleagues describe Tom as hardworking, responsive, honest and straightforward. It should come as no surprise that he adheres to a “give them the straight answer” approach to the practice of law. His strong work ethic was instilled in him by his rigorous training at the United States Military Academy at West Point from which he graduated in 1978. He then served for 22 years as an officer in the United States Army. He held the rank of Lieutenant Colonel when he retired from the Reserves in 2001.
Tom is married to his high school sweetheart. They are blessed with two adult children. Outside of the office, he has been active in service to his community first as a trustee for the Village of Arlington Heights for 22 years and as its president/mayor since May 2013. Even with all of his professional, church, and community commitments, Tom still finds time to run marathons and spend time with his family, including his two grandchildren.
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Association of Graduates – United States Military Academy
- Member of High School District 214 Alumni Advisory Council
US Army veteran retiring at the rank of Lieutenant Colonel
Arlington Heights Village President (Mayor) since May 2013
Completed 34 Marathons – 21 Chicago and 13 Boston
- United States Military Academy – West Point, B.S., 1978
- DePaul Univ. College of Law, J.D., 1986
- State of Illinois
- USDC – Northern District of Illinois
- USCA – 7th Circuit
- State of Missouri
Asbestos defense of electrical products manufacturer — Toxic Tort and Mass Tort Litigation
Worldwide electrical products manufacturer including multiple predecessors and subsidiaries. Successful defense leads to voluntary dismissal without payment of more than 90% of all cases filed against McKenna clients.
Asbestos defense of contractors — Toxic Tort and Mass Tort Litigation
Local insulation contractors performing insulation work at a variety of commercial and industrial jobsites in major metropolitan areas in the Midwest. Successful defense leads to voluntary dismissal without payment of more than 90% of all cases against McKenna clients.
Blog Posts and Articles
- Municipal Authority and Liability During COVID-19 PandemicThe COVID-19 pandemic has impacted our world in a variety of ways we could have never imagined. Opinions on the danger of the virus and how to deal with it also vary greatly. Perhaps the primary issue in the United States, and other countries, is how to balance public health and safety against the economic […]