Timothy Murtaugh III
Timothy J. Murtaugh III brings a wealth of knowledge and skills acquired over the course of his long career to assist clients with business, real estate, estate, tax and probate issues that individuals and small businesses face every day. Clients appreciate his ability to advise them about complex legal issues with practical and cost effective solutions.
Tim, who began his career as a public defender, focuses his practice on estate planning and administration, trust counseling, small business issues and general litigation. During his long and illustrious career, he has represented clients in litigation in state and federal courts throughout Illinois and in matters before the Illinois Commerce Commission, the Cook County Board of Tax Appeals, and other administrative agencies and commissions.
He has also advised and represented clients about commercial real estate matters, including development, leasing and sale of hotels, motels and other industrial and commercial properties. Tim is able to offer his commercial real estate clients the knowledge and experience he has acquired as a licensed real estate broker in addition to the vast amount of know-how he has accumulated in his years as a practicing attorney.
Throughout his career, Tim has been called upon to lend his considerable legal talents to advising legislative bodies and committees and drafting legislation. This part of his career has included stints as attorney to the Illinois Labor Law Revisory Commission and to the Illinois Legislative Reference Bureau.
When he is not focused on the needs of his clients, Tim has a long history of service to his community. He and his wife are involved in many activities at his parish, and he enjoys spending time with his children and grandchildren.
- American Bar Association: Member of section on Real Property, Probate and Trust Law (1962-Present)
- City Club of Chicago (1986-Present)
- The Lawyers Club (1984-Present)
- Chicago Bar Association: Committee on Constitutional Revision, 1965-1970
- Chicago Bar Association: Past Chairman, Traffic Court Committee, 1979
- Chicago Bar Association: Land Trust Committee, 1979-1987
- Chicago Bar Association Judicial Evaluation Committee, 1985-1991
- Chicago Junior Association of Commerce & Industry (Jaycees) 1968-1978
- Citizens of Greater Chicago (1976-1986)
- Illinois State Bar Association: Civil Practice and Procedure Section
- Illinois State Bar Association: Trust & Estates Section
- Illinois State Bar Association: Business Advice & Financial Planning Section
Illinois State Bar Association: Distinguished Counsellor, 2012
- University of Notre Dame, AB, 1958
- University of Michigan, JD, 1961
- State of Illinois
- USDC – Northern District of Illinois
- United States Supreme Court
Closely held corporations and bankruptcy — Estate Planning
Represented decedent’s estate with legal issues arising about closely held corporation, corporate bankruptcy, federal litigation and commercial leases
Publication Business — Corporate Law & Commercial Litigation Practice
Serving as legal counsel on general corporate matters including: corporate succession, leases, copyright, purchase and sale of subsidiaries and corporate compliance.
Protection Controls Business — Corporate Law & Commercial Litigation Practice
Continuing legal counsel on general corporate matters, corporate compliance and litigation.
Environmental Technology Business — Corporate Law & Commercial Litigation Practice, Commercial Real Estate
Continuing legal counsel on general corporate matters, corporate compliance, real estate, shareholder relations, litigation, real estate acquisition and management, leases and lease litigation.
Pharmaceutical Preparations Company — Corporate Law & Commercial Litigation Practice, Commercial Real Estate
Continuing counsel on general corporate matters, environmental law and real estate law.
Medical Instrumentation Company — Corporate Law & Commercial Litigation Practice, Commercial Real Estate
Continuing legal counsel on corporate succession, sales of corporate stock and estate planning.
Motor and Electric Generator Manufacturer — Corporate Law & Commercial Litigation Practice, Estate Planning
Continuing legal counsel on corporate matters such as corporate succession, corporate compliance and estate planning.
Annual Report (1984)